OUR STORY

Salvatore Ferrara was just 16 years old when he left his home in Nola, Italy in 1900 and emigrated to the United States. He brought with him the art of Italian pastry making and confectionery, skills which would eventually lead him to open the first Italian pastry and candy shop on Taylor Street in Chicago's Little Italy. An instant success, he was recognized throughout the city and suburbs for his fine pastries, wedding cakes and confections.

 

He soon met and married Serafina Pagano and they labored together to provide Chicago with wonderful desserts and candies. Through hard work and commitment to the use of quality ingredients, they made a lasting name for themselves. Serafina, a dynamic business personality and philanthropist, was loved by all who knew her and was known as "The Angel of Halsted Street". She is still remembered today.

 

Eager to meet new challenges, Salvatore put Serafina in charge of the bakery and concentrated his efforts on expanding the candy business, launching the Ferrara Pan Candy Company.  Ferrara Pan Candy Company would go on to create such favorites as Lemonheads and Atomic Fireballs, which are distributed worldwide today.

 

The third generation of Ferrara's proudly carries on the tradition of providing its customers with a wide variety of delicious desserts of the highest quality. Ferrara's Signature Italian Cannoli Cake has become a tradition for thousands, enjoyed through the generations.

 

Just as Salvatore did when he began in 1908, we take extreme pride in preparing our products with only the freshest and purest ingredients. We use the finest imported spices and never any artificial flavorings or preservatives. Our products will certainly add that elegant crowning touch that sets your wedding or special event apart from the rest.

 

Founders
Founders

Salvatore and Serafina Ferrara, opened Ferrara Bakery in 1908.

press to zoom
Original Location
Original Location

Our original location at 772 S. Halsted St.

press to zoom

Nello (son of Salvatore and Serafina) and Marilyn Ferrara

press to zoom

Marilyn Ferrara ran and operated Ferrara Bakery until the late 1990's

press to zoom

Current owners, Bill and Nella (granddaughter of Salvatore and Serafina) Davy.

press to zoom

Wedding cake decorating

press to zoom

Our favorite intersection! Mother and Son.

press to zoom

After all of these years, own beautiful sign still stands strong and shines bright!

press to zoom
Storefront
Storefront

Our current store at 2210 W. Taylor St. since the 1950's.

press to zoom